My flight from Singapore to Amsterdam gets cancelled, so I have a few more days to spend. I take the bus to Malaysia and visit Kuala Lumpur for the first time. Since I am a huge fan of parrots, I have to bring a visit to the KL Bird Park, which is the world largest Free-Flight Walk-In Aviary.
There is an area which they call the feathered friends area where I meet a funny cockatoo who talks a lot. “Hello.. Hello….Habataba habatabata…..” says my feathered friend: Mister Cockatoo
The variety of bird species that are kept in this park is impressive, but some birds are kept in cages and other enclosures for the safety of the visitors as well as the birds (as the ones in cages are birds of prey). It is quit amazing that a bird park of this size in the middle of a major city exists.
It is a peaceful park which surprisingly only gets a few visitors every day.
While I walk close by the waterfall I see that there is a white bird standing on the bridge. It looks like the bird does not see me, but when I cross the bridge it runs at me because I do not keep enough distance. He almost bites me! Luckily for me, I still have enough time and space to jump away and continue crossing the little river. So, please keep your distance from birds with sharp claws and bills, and those who can bite you without any warning.
The Bird Park has many activities starting at 10 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon, but the park is open from 9 am till 6 pm.
How much does is cost to enter the park?
The entrance fee for an adult is only 48 Malaysian Ringgit, which is about €11,-.
There are a few ways to get there:
- jump on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus and disembark at the Bird Park main entrance
- take the public bus #B115 and disembark at Jalan Parlimen
- take the KTM Commuter train and disembark at the old railway station near the mosque
- if you prefer to take a taxi, ask for one with a meter system or agree on a price
It is best to go in the morning, while you can still walk a lot in the shade.
With more than 3.000 birds I think this eco-park is fun for everyone!
Latest posts by Renate Rigters | That Wanderlust (see all)
- Working in the Maldives as a dive instructor - 21/02/2018
- 7 reasons why not to wear make-up - 03/01/2018
- Scuba Diving in Huatulco – the marine life of Oaxaca - 08/12/2017