Do you remember the “I am going on a trip” game we all used to play as kids on the bus, train, or in the car when we drove to our summer holiday destination?
I do! Though I had to think twice about the old game rules.
So why did I think about this? I was browsing the web looking for places to stay during my upcoming journey and landed on a website with holiday homes, named the homeaway. On their website I red the question “What do you definitely put in your suitcase when you go on a holiday?” It made me realize that I should re-check my travel gear check-list for the items in my backpack.
I started thinking again about my flash-packing gear. I normally travel as a tech-savvy adventurer with my iPhone, GoPro, MacBook Pro, external hard-drive, digital camera, several lenses, and my camera bag. Maybe in January I will have to leave my camera bag and some lenses at home. They do occupy quite a lot of space and if I decide not to bring those things along my bag will be a little bit less heavy.
Then there is my clothing. I carry four types of shoes with me:
- hiking shoes for when I go off the track
- flip-flops for the beach surroundings
- Luna Sandals for walking in hot weather conditions
- colorful Mipacha’s for the city trips
Fortunately there is space left for two pairs of long trousers, some shirts, shorts, a dress and not to forget:
As you can guess, that is not all I will carry with me. There is more…
But the question remains “without what would I definitely not travel?”
Alright, I will tell you. I really need my sunglasses, my iPhone, a toothbrush, a comb, a fresh pair of underwear, and uhmm… a scarf, do not forget the scarf for when it gets cold! Those are the things I cannot travel without. If I stay with a friend for a day of leave the house for a week, those are the things I will always pack.
That might seem like not too much. I know what you are thinking right now: “yeah right, what about make-up, an unused T-shirt, and so forth?” But really, I could do without all those things whenever necessary. I have had the experience of having to spend a night in a hotel while the plan was to go home and it seems everything worked out just fine – of course I would not have enjoyed having to go to a party the next day still wearing the same clothes and all, but it is doable.
I am going on a trip and I am going to bring my camera, does anyone want to go with me?
But let’s get back to the game “I am going on a trip”. As I remember it, there were three ways to play this game:
- The play begins by one person saying “I am going on a trip and I am going to bring my teddy bear.” The next person says “I am going on a trip and I am going to bring my radio.” The second person must pick anything that begins with the letter ‘R’, which is the last letter of the first person’s pick. When the second person uses the correct letter everybody will say “Okay, you can bring that on our trip.” If the word is not beginning with the correct letter everybody will say “No, you cannot bring that on our trip.”
- The play might also begin with one person saying “I am going on a trip and I am going to bring my flip-flops, does anybody want to go with me?” The other persons have to think of items that might fit the category and ask “Can I join you if I bring sandals?” When it fits the category the first person will say “Yes, you may come along”. If it does not fit they say “I am sorry, you cannot come.”
- Or you can initiate the play with the person’s initials. For example, John Smith says “I am going on a trip and I am going to bring my jeep and skittles, does anyone want to join me?” If Emma Indiana said “Can I join you if I bring an egg and my Ipod?” She would get a yes answer.
It was a long time ago, but the game was worth figuring out again!
Which games were your favorites at home and while traveling when you were a kid?
What are the things you would always pack for a journey?
Latest posts by Renate Rigters | That Wanderlust (see all)
- Working in the Maldives as a dive instructor - 21/02/2018
- 7 reasons why not to wear make-up - 03/01/2018
- Scuba Diving in Huatulco – the marine life of Oaxaca - 08/12/2017